So the game is mercifully done. I shouldn’t be so harsh on it – it’s not the worst game in the series. But I already outlined a few of my issues. Ones I’d like to add:
- It’s comically easy. I found out a way to level up extremely fast with the Yeti, and by the time I was at the end palace, I was killing bosses before any of my party had attacked twice.
- It gets pretty mundane by the end. And worst ending in any FF game. Seriously, 1 had a better ending and it was text-based.
- The end place itself is stupid. While I like the idea of dividing up into three groups, it is too “thinky” with the whole ‘this group needs to step on this switch to enable this other group to pass by’. Seriously, what bad guy designs a lair like that? To get to the highest floor (where he apparently just hangs out, playing with his endless power), he’d have to bring a group of lackeys with him at all times.
Anyway, let me dwell on some of the good points.
- First off, it has the best character in any FF game, and that is the Yeti, who I named YETI!! because, really, he is. I could watch him hurl my party members around all day long. Major props go to Ash who noted, “He’s just like the Beserker [from FFV]“ HUH!?!? She forgets the due date of our baby at our preggers class, yet she remembers a character from a different game altogether, one that she only watches to ridicule? Muy sexy.
- There is plenty of non-essentials to do. In fact, too many. My quest of course was to do everything in the game. From collecting all of Dr. Tom’s rages (I stopped when I realize I didn’t even fight one or two of the enemies in the WoB and therefore could never do it), to amassing Shoe!!’s lores (again, I missed one that was only available in one boss because I beat him before he could do a move) to fighting everything in the Colusseum. I didn’t have the planning to do them all, but I did get all the Espers and fought all the enemies, are far as I know (at least I fought all the bosses)
- The Colusseum in general. Cool idea.
- Getting General Leo to join my party (that ought to rile up the purists)
- The fact that they got away from the Light Crystals idea. This was a vast departure storyline-wise. I don’t paricularly like the avenue they picked, but A for trying.
- Despite saying the game was pretty simple, I did die twice in the final place when a regular enemy used Blaster on my entire party, wiping them out in one fell swoop. I only put it on the ‘cool’ list because, though it absolutely pissed me off, it’s good to keep me on my toes, I guess.
So this bugger only took me 38 hours, but I suspect that’s untrue. I noticed a ‘glitch’ with the clock. I would play for exactly one hour (real time), and it logged me for about 48 minutes. I don’t know whether that’s because it doesn’t save loading time (and there’s plenty of it), or it cheats so kids can tell their parents that they weren’t playing as long as they were. But there you have it.
Total, I’ve logged about 210 hours in this quest, which is half done. I might be able to finish VII before Smacky’s born, we’ll see. As much me time as I’m trying to take, I’m also trying to balance that with Ash time, and baby time. Onto VII, another non-favorite of mine.